Day 8: A Case of Childhood Stress
Dr. David Clarke discusses the case history of a woman who found healing in gaining greater awareness of her stressful childhood experiences.
Dr. David Clarke discusses a patient case history; topics covered include:
- A woman who had suffered for almost 10 years from back pain and GI issues
- How a childhood without emotional support shaped her Type A, people-pleasing personality
- How the process of looking at her childhood experience revealed hidden sources of stress
- How she healed by gaining greater awareness of her childhood stress and learning to “put herself first”
Negative Writing (on a piece of paper you will rip up and throw away afterwards): Take 5 minutes to do “negative writing” – Just write down all of the negative thoughts causing you anxiety right now, and when you are done, rip up the piece of paper
Questions for your journal (write in your journal, which you will keep):
- Look at your own childhood and your relationship with your primary care givers – How would you describe your relationship with mom and dad?
- Do you recall stressful experiences from childhood – what were they?
- Did you have feelings of unworthiness as a child and if so what were they? Do you have the same feelings as an adult?
- On a 1-10 scale (10 being worst) how would you rate your pain today?
- Day 0: Setting Up for Success
- Day 1: Your "Old Back Story"
- Day 2: Understanding ESR
- Day 3: Deep Breathing
- Day 4: Wisdom from a Spine Surgeon
- Day 5: How We Get Programmed for Pain
- Day 6: Type A Personalities
- Day 7: The "Big 4" Emotions
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions or comments about today's program, please let us know and we'll be sure to respond to you right away. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org