Day 7: The "Big 4" Emotions
Today Jon talks with Dr. Rick Scott about the powerful emotions that underlie the Emotion-Stress Response (ESR), and how some emotions are more “on the surface” while others tend to be hidden in our “emotional basement”.
Jon talks today with Dr. Rick Scott; topics covered include:
The “Big 4” emotions of Anger, Fear, Sadness and Unworthiness
How certain emotions tend to show up “on the surface”, while others are buried more deeply
How bringing awareness to deeper levels of emotion can benefit us
Negative Writing (on a piece of paper you will rip up and throw away afterwards): Take 5 minutes to do “negative writing” – Just write down all of the negative thoughts causing you anxiety right now, and when you are done, rip up the piece of paper
Questions for your journal (write in your journal, which you will keep):
- Go all the way into your emotional basement – Write about a time you experienced a deep sense of shame or unworthiness. What happened? How did you feel at the time? To what extent are the feelings of this experience still with you today?
What difficult emotions did you have today, and how did they affect you?
On a 1-10 scale (10 being worst) how would you rate your pain today?
- Day 0: Setting Up for Success
- Day 1: Your "Old Back Story"
- Day 2: Understanding ESR
- Day 3: Deep Breathing
- Day 4: Wisdom from a Spine Surgeon
- Day 5: How We Get Programmed for Pain
- Day 6: Type A Personalities
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions or comments about today's program, please let us know and we'll be sure to respond to you right away. Send us an email at email@example.com