Day 29: Reconnecting Through Play
Dr. David Hanscom discusses how pain can isolate us, and how we need to reconnect with others to build our “play pathways”. Dr. Hanscom leverages his personal experience leading seminars with pain patients and getting them pain free in less than 5 days.
Dr. David Hanscom discusses topics including:
- How pain can make us isolated
- How using our “play pathways” more than our “pain pathways” can get us out of pain
- What Dr. Hanscom has learned leading seminars for pain patients
- Simple ways to activate your play pathways (and the idea you shouldn’t wait to be out of pain to do so)
Negative Writing (on a piece of paper you will rip up and throw away afterwards): Take 5 minutes to write down all of the negative thoughts causing you anxiety right now, and when you are done, rip up the piece of paper.
Questions for Journaling:
- Have you experienced isolation from your pain? What has been the emotional impact on you?
- Take the action to reconnect with your community – Who can you reach out to for a casual coffee, meal or activity?
- How can you build a little play into each day?
- On a 1-10 scale, how would you rate your pain today?
- Deep Breathing
- Grand Central Station Meditation
- Driving Meditation
- Negative Self-Talk Exercise
- Body Scan Exercise
- Giving to Yourself: A Somatic Exercise
- Day 0: Setting Up for Success
- Day 1: Your "Old Back Story"
- Day 2: Understanding ESR
- Day 3: Deep Breathing
- Day 4: Wisdom from a Spine Surgeon
- Day 5: How We Get Programmed for Pain
- Day 6: Type A Personalities
- Day 7: The "Big 4" Emotions
- Day 8: A Case of Childhood Stress
- Day 9: A Case of Current Stress
- Day 10: Cases of Depression and Anxiety
- Day 11: Taking Stock & Survey
- Day 12: Your "Monkey Mind"
- Day 13: Awareness in Day-to-Day Life
- Day 14: Roots of Negative Self-Talk
- Day 15: Living from the Neck Up
- Day 16: The Stress Inventory
- Day 17: Depth Journaling
- Day 18: Raising A Child As You Were Raised
- Day 19: Writing a Letter to Relieve Stress
- Day 20: Acknowledging the Hero in Us
- Day 21: Taking Stock & Survey
- Day 22: Getting Good Sleep
- Day 23: Finding a Self-Care Activity
- Day 24: Posture and Movement
- Day 25: Setting Limits
- Day 26: The Power of Positive Self-Talk
- Day 27: Giving to Yourself Through a Somatic Exercise
- Day 28: The Power of Gratitude
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions or comments about today's program, please let us know and we'll be sure to respond to you right away. Send us an email at email@example.com