Day 15: Living from the “Neck Up” & Body-Scan Exercise
In the first video, Mind-Body Master Dr. Rick Scott discusses how we learn to avoid physical and emotional pain and spend most of our time “in our heads”. In the second video, Dr. Rick guides you through a "somatic" meditation.
The "Body Scan" Exercise
Dr. Rick Scott covers topics including:
How we spend most of our time “in our heads”
How this is a way of avoiding physical and emotional pain
How bringing awareness to what’s going on inside our bodies can benefit us
A “Body Scan” exercise to build our capability to reconnect mind and body
Negative Writing (on a piece of paper you will rip up and throw away afterwards): Take 5 minutes to write down all of the negative thoughts causing you anxiety right now, and when you are done, rip up the piece of paper.
Questions for Journaling:
Did you get the chance to do the “Body Scan” today, and what was your experience?
What’s going on in your body right now? Are you aware of the sensations of pain or emotion in your body and how would you describe them?
On a 1-10 scale (10 being worst) how would you rate your pain today?
- Day 0: Setting Up for Success
- Day 1: Your "Old Back Story"
- Day 2: Understanding ESR
- Day 3: Deep Breathing
- Day 4: Wisdom from a Spine Surgeon
- Day 5: How We Get Programmed for Pain
- Day 6: Type A Personalities
- Day 7: The "Big 4" Emotions
- Day 8: A Case of Childhood Stress
- Day 9: A Case of Current Stress
- Day 10: Cases of Depression and Anxiety
- Day 11: Taking Stock & Survey
- Day 12: Your "Monkey Mind"
- Day 13: Awareness in Day-to-Day Life
- Day 14: Roots of Negative Self-Talk
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions or comments about today's program, please let us know and we'll be sure to respond to you right away. Send us an email at email@example.com