Day 1: Your "Old Back Story"
Today, Jon Slavet tells his own "Old Back Story” and what he used to tell friends, family and colleagues about his bad back over ten years of debilitating and persistent pain.
After watching today’s video or listening to the audio version, scroll down below and complete the rest of today’s assignment. Questions or comments? See our support email at the bottom of the page.
Looking for a different day of the program? Scroll down to see Previous Days.
In today's video, Jon tells his “Old Back Story”, and how he attributed his bad back to everything but a stress related source, including: His history as a basketball player and the pounding his back took on outdoor courts, the fact that one of his legs is slightly shorter than the other, lifting heavy objects, etc. He now sees his story in a different light.
Today take the time you need to write your own "Old Back Story". Here are a few questions to prompt your writing:
- Why and when did your back first start hurting?
- How has the pain changed over time?
- What have doctors or other healthcare professionals told you about your back?
- What is the story you’ve been telling friends, family or colleagues about why your back hurts?
- How has your Old Back Story defined you and your physical and emotional health?
- On a 1-10 scale (10 being worst) how would you rate your pain today?